Job Notice: Communications Director
Position Title: Communications Director Reports to: Executive Director
Location: New Orleans, LA
Salary: $45,000.00-$55,000.00 (depending on experience) plus generous benefits, including health (after 30 day waiting period), dental insurance, short term disability insurance, 2 weeks paid sick leave and 3 weeks paid vacation.
The Gulf Restoration Network (GRN) (www.healthygulf.org) is a non-profit organization made up of an alliance of groups and individuals committed to uniting and empowering people to restore the resources of the Gulf region.
GRN values and respects all types of diversity and strongly encourages applicants from traditionally marginalized groups to apply. We prohibit discrimination and harassment and provide equal employment opportunity without regard to, and not limited to, ethnicity, religion, race, national origin, abilities, gender identity, sexual orientation, age or genetic information. We are committed to recruiting, hiring and promoting those from traditionally marginalized groups.
- Develop and lead the implementation of a comprehensive, strategic organizational communications plan, as well as working with staff to craft communications plans specific to campaigns and programs
- Ensure compelling, consistently branded communications from all areas of the organization
- Develop relationships and coordinate communication with community partners and collaborating organizations
- Further the advocacy and fundraising ability of GRN by maximizing the visibility of our efforts to protect and restore the natural resources of the Gulf of Mexico
- Participate in the Management Team with the Executive Director, Senior Policy Director, Campaign Director and Development Director
- Provide ongoing communications training for staff on social media, messaging, strategy and writing
Writing and Online Advocacy:
- Build GRN’s number of online supporters, interactions through our website, e blasts, and social media reach
- Maintain GRN’s website
- Lead the development of communication materials like annual reports, flyers and brochures
- Co-manage GRN’s donor and supporter database, Salsa, in coordination with the Development team
- Ensure quality and consistency of email blasts and social media presence
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant reporters, editors, bloggers, and opinion writers throughout the region and the country
- Manage an up-to-date list of GRN media contacts for use by all staff.
- Organize and assist with press conferences, media events, editorial board meetings and other media events
- Draft and/or edit news advisories, news releases, op-eds and letters-to-the-editor ensuring consistency of message/communications
- Be a spokesperson for GRN and strength the ability of staff and members to act as spokespeople
- At least 4 years’ experience in communications, public relations, nonprofit or community advocacy, issue campaigns, organizing or other related fields
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience with constituent management software (i.e. Salsa); web content management services (i.e. Drupal) and online organizing
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple deadlines and prioritize.
- Ability to function as part of team and work collaboratively.
- Bachelor’s degree, degree from an accredited community college or equivalent work experience.
- Ties to, or experience working in the Gulf south strongly preferred
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, a writing sample and 3 references to email@example.com
Deadline for Applications: June 12, 2017.